Auto30
NewsTechnologyTuningReviewsUsefulRetro

Ford Recalls More Than 255,000 Focus Models Over Engine Stalling Issue

The recall covers certain 2012–2018 Ford Focus models that were previously believed to have been repaired under an earlier recall but were not properly fixed.

Ford Recalls More Than 255,000 Focus Models Over Engine Stalling Issue

Ford is recalling more than 255,000 Focus vehicles because of a potential engine stalling issue. The recall covers certain 2012–2018 Ford Focus models that were previously believed to have been repaired under an earlier recall but were not properly fixed.

The recall, issued on June 9, affects Focus sedans and hatchbacks that were incorrectly recorded as having received a required software update under a 2019 recall.

The issue stems from a malfunctioning canister purge valve, which can cause the engine to stall unexpectedly. The defect may allow the canister purge valve to remain open during the engine's evaporative emissions system leak check, causing the engine to stall unexpectedly and preventing it from restarting, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford has not reported any injuries or crashes related to the issue.

Ford to Provide Free Software Updates and Additional Repairs

Ford advises owners to take their vehicles to an authorized dealership, where the Powertrain Control Module software will be updated free of charge. Owners who previously paid for related repairs may be eligible for reimbursement.

Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed by July 6. Beginning on the same date, affected vehicle identification numbers (VINs) will be available for lookup on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website.

Owners seeking additional information can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332, Monday through Friday.

Ford said it has not received any reports of crashes or injuries related to the defect. The automaker is not currently facing legal action over the recall, although recalls of this type can sometimes result in class action lawsuits, which are closely monitored by Top Class Actions.

In another recent recall, Ford recalled nearly 1.4 million F-150 pickups because of a gearshift malfunction that poses a "significant safety risk."


You may also be interested in the news:

Mahindra to Launch Toyota Hilux Rival at Half the Price With Ford Ranger-Inspired Interior

India’s Mahindra has unveiled a new midsize pickup that aims to challenge the Toyota Hilux with a much lower price and Ford Ranger-inspired interior.

FORD DEALERS LEARN PRICE OF NEW ENTRY-LEVEL SUV: IT WILL UNDERCUT EVENTHE MAVERICK

Ford's new SUV will be built in Mexico alongside the Bronco Sport and Maverick and is slated to debut in 2029. The brand also plans four more vehicles priced below $40,000 by 2030, including the Fathom electric pickup and hybrid Mustang Mach 4.

Ford Recalls More Than 676,000 SUVs Over Roof Rail and Second-Row Seat Defects

Ford is recalling more than 676,000 SUVs over roof rail covers and second-row seat switches that can create safety hazards.

US Researchers Find a Smarter Way to Improve Electric Motors With Less Wear and More Power

Researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory have developed a new electric drive architecture that could boost motor durability while reducing stress on critical power electronics.

NHTSA Says 135,551 Ford Vehicles Pose an “Unreasonable Risk” as Recall Troubles Continue

Federal regulators say an engine issue in certain Ford models could pose a serious safety risk to drivers nationwide.